. . . on this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it—Matthew 16:18
We’re designed for battle by our Father God; we’re led into battle by our King, Jesus Christ; we’re aided in battle by God the Holy Spirit. These battles are waged “against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). The places where we meet our enemies have names like “sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these” (Galatians 5:19-21). Though perhaps less dramatic than battles fought on the ground or in the air or on the sea, their outcomes are more momentous. They determine not only how we spend our lives, but our eternities too (Galatians 5:21).
We have enemies. They’re real. They’re powerful. They’re cunning, relentless, scheming always against us—scheming right now. We too, brother, must be cunning and relentless. We too must be prepared.
Okay, so what do we do?
Create a battle plan. Resist any “this isn’t necessary” or “do it later” tendencies. Create a plan to bring the fight to our enemies. They’ve brought it to you long enough. Write it out today. Make it explicit. Make it practical.
- Definition of Battle . . . what problem would you like to finally overcome?
- Definition of Victory . . . what’ll victory look like?
- Lay of the Land . . . what external factors contribute to the problem?
- Points of Weakness . . . what aspects of your lifestyle contribute too?
- Plan of Attack . . . how will you counter or minimize or eliminate the external factors and contributing aspects of your lifestyle?
- Sources of Strength . . . how’ll you stay connected to God and community?
- Brothers-in-Arms . . . whom will you tell about this plan and keep updated, as to victories and defeats?
If these words impacted you today, send them on!!!